Friday, October 19, 2007

Coffee Confusion

I had an interesting realization the other day while riding the A train. I was trying to put myself into the shoes of a confused customer at Starbucks not quite knowing what size "Venti" was or what the hell a "Frappuccino" is and just wanting a cup of coffee. Then I thought about how confusing it can be to get a "regula coffee light an' sweet" at Grumpy. When presented with a choice of different origins, some people don't know what it means and get a little frustrated before we have a chance to educate them. I feel bad sometimes because they want something so simple, "a little sumpn sumpn to wake up in the morning". I think I have decided to stop feeling bad though. Here is my realization: coffee IS exotic and there really is nothing regular about it. It has ALWAYS (meaning since before Americans started drinking it) come from Ethiopia, Kenya, Sumatra, Colombia, Brazil, etc, etc. For some reason, many people have forgotten that this stuff comes from some of the wildest places on Earth before it gets to the can, the pod, the packet, or the bag. This is not a new thing. In the 1600s, coffee hit Europe with a fashionable edge, consumers thought it to be what exciting, exotic, foreign people drank to enlighten themselves. They felt like they were getting cultured by drinking it. I still agree with that. I don't think I believe in "Regula Coffee" any more. Don't forget about the wildness in your cup!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
newJon said...

Mild2_Wild is my poker name on some sites and that describes my coffee ex'ce--

ty for the background , as always --now I'll have3 another sip of home-made wine

JB

eda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.